Direct Support Professional (DSP)
New Horizons NW Direct Support Provider 2019
The Direct Support Provider is responsible for providing support services to developmentally or intellectually disabled individuals in a community setting.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Provide support to people with developmental or intellectual disabilities which permit them to live independently in a community setting.
• Plan and schedule client activities in the community.
• Oversee support plan goals and work with clients to achieve them.
• Assist with information gathering for housing, activities, employment, and medical providers.
• Documents routine and unusual events including completing daily logs, client notes, and accident reports.
• Accurately describes the activity or services provided and how that supported customer in meeting contract goals.
• Obtains and maintains all required certifications and trainings.
• Displays open communication and cooperative work behavior.
• Ensures clients exercise their rights and are treated with dignity and respect.
• Competent in creating and editing word documents, have access to a scanner and the ability to turn a scanned document into a PDF file.
• Excellent verbal, written, and digital communication skills.
• Self-motivated and self-directed.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences.
• Pass a thorough background check and obtain First Aid & CPR certification within 90 days of hire.
• Previous experience as a Direct Support Provider (with adults with I/DD) desirable.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Ability to satisfy physical requirements for the individual client; such as light lifting, bending and walking.
High school or equivalent
• Must have a valid driver's license, good driving record, reliable vehicle with valid insurance.